What was On Offer?
An international line-up of leading speakers and commentators from the science and food conference circuit including:
- the keynote speaker Amarjit Sahota, the founder and director of Organic Monitor, a specialist UK market research, consulting & training firm focussing on the global organic & related niche product industries
- Professor Susan Brawley, professor of Botany at the School of Marine Sciences at the University of Maine, USA and a world renowned expert on the cultivation of sea vegetables
- Dr Helena Abreu, research and development director of Algaplus, the Portuguese-based pioneer in the production of marine macroalgae (marine vegetables) and its application as the extractive component (biofilter) in integrated multi-trophic aquaculture systems (IMTA).
Cookery editor Sally McKenna speaks on cooking with seaweed and the opportunities farmed seaweed presents
Freddy O'Mahony talks about Ireland's first hatchery for farmed Irish seaweed
The conference also offered:
- An opportunity to hear first-hand key findings from commissioned national research conducted into Ireland's potential to develop farmed seaweed as a mainstream farming diversification/food production option for supply into selected EU markets
- The latest scientific advice from leading international seaweed academics and specialists on how Ireland might best farm seaweed crops for human consumption
- Market-led expert opinion from food production specialists on the development of innovative farmed seaweed-based food products for the global seafood market
- Investment session with key points for investors seeking to invest in farmed Irish seaweed while looking at recent trends in the global farmed seaweed commodities market
- Irish case study setting out a step by step approach to the setting up of a successful seaweed farm
- “Routes to Farming Seaweed” will be a BIM-led information session on how Ireland's seafood development agency can guide and assist delegates to grow their farmed seaweed business from start-up or into the next stage of development.
Donal Maguire, Director Aquaculture Development Services, BIM talks about the conference
- People employed in Ireland's seafood sector interested in starting or continuing to farm and produce seaweed for national and global food markets
- Farmers interested in receiving the latest cutting edge market intelligence on seaweed consumed in the EU setting out end user analysis, price, volumes, product preference and market trends to 2020
- National and international academics and researchers working in the seaweed or related area of maritime farming
- Food companies at home or abroad seeking new product development opportunities for farmed seaweed-based food products
- Investors looking for the ”newest thing” in Ireland's seafood sector.