Working with a select number of seafood companies BIM carried out a trial project aimed at reducing transport fuel usage.
An action plan was drawn up including:
- Measure baseline fuel performance per driver (litres/100km)
- Review driver performance weekly
- Provide drivers with feedback on performance
- Eco-driving training
- Update vehicle checklist to include fuel saving initiatives
- Review fleet procurement and maintenance procedures.
Under test conditions Eco-driver training improved performance by 32% on average
a figure expected to level out at 8% under real-world conditions.
- A 10% saving on fuel usage is easily achieved when fuel management is properly resourced and all action items are implemented including Eco-drive training.
This is in line with other sectors where savings exceeding 10% were evident when a fuel management plan was put in place.
Read the Green Business Programme Fleet Fuel Transport Costs Case Study (pdf 1,909Kb)