BIM’s Enhanced Safety Training Scheme is a 1-day course designed to provide the skipper and crews of registered fishing vessels with on-going training in personal survival techniques, first aid, fire fighting, and health and safety in the workplace. Those successfully completing the course (or, in the case of new entrants, those successfully completing BIM’s 3-day Basic Safety Training) may also avail of a special incentive under BIM’s Safety Equipment Scheme. This provides grant aid of up to 60% towards the cost of purchasing Personal Floatation Devices (PFD) fitted with an integrated Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).
This Enhanced Safety Training Scheme complements BIM’s Basic Safety Training programme and Fleet Safety Grant Aid Scheme and is intended to further enhance survival prospects following man overboard accidents at sea as well as the search and rescue functions of the emergency services.
All persons operating or working onboard Irish registered fishing vessels less than 15 meters in length.
- Application should be made by the owner of an Irish registered fishing vessel on behalf of the skipper and crew
- In certain circumstances individual fishermen may apply for training only.
1-day Enhanced Safety Training course including a Personal Flotation Device fitted with a Personal Locator Beacon.
The following rates apply in every case:
- Vessels less than 15 metres in length (LOA): 1-day Enhanced Safety Training course including a Personal Flotation Device fitted with a Personal Locator Beacon: €155
- Vessels 15 metres and greater in length: 1-day Enhanced Safety Training course including a Personal Flotation Device fitted with a Personal Locator Beacon: €190
How to apply
- Save the Enhanced Safety Training Scheme Application Form (pdf 1,650Kb) to your computer.
- Open the form from your computer and complete the form, saving the changes
- Send the completed application:
- by post to: John Connaughton, Training Services, Bord Iascaigh Mhara, Crofton Rd., Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
- or email your application to email@example.com
You may direct enquiries to your local BIM representative, to the BIM training colleges in Greencastle and Castletownbere, the BIM Coastal Training Units or to BIM, Dun Laoghaire (Tel 01 2144 100).
How long does the process take?
From application to approval under this scheme usually takes up to 10 working days but may take longer should supporting documentation or additional information to the application be required.
This scheme is funded through The National Exchequer