Project aim: Assess how skates and rays survive after release from fishing gear
- Download the Fish Tag Return Form (pdf 76Kb)
- Claim your €20 reward by sending the completed form and tag to BIM's Galway Office, New Docks Road, Galway
Observers tag and release non-quota skate species such
as common and white skate.
Our methods: How we monitor skates and rays
- We use the conventional Peterson disc to tag non-quota skates and rays captured in Irish fisheries
- The tagged fish are then released
- On recapture we encourage the return of tags by offering a €20 reward
- Returned tags are accompanied by a description of the fish such as species, size, sex, condition and information on the capture
- This data helps us to assess the long term survivability of released skates and rays
Future Plans: Further monitoring
Going forward we plan to tag 200 common skate and other elasmobranch species in a range of fisheries.